Town of Fletcher – Select Board
Fletcher Town Clerk’s Office
Monday, November 5, 2018
Rich Bidwell, Christine E. Nilsen, Jesse Wiens
Jeff Curtis, Art Fagnant, Landon Joyal, Tim Joyal, Cathy Keller, Karrie Sweet, Aimee Tinker
1) Call to Order
Since Jon Bondy was absent, the Board members present unanimously chose Jesse Wiens to serve as acting chair for this meeting. Jesse called the meeting to order at 7:05pm.
2) Special Presentation
Members of North West Vermont Wheelers Inc., an ATV club, came to speak to the Board about the possibility of the Town granting access to certain Town roads for ATV use. These roads may include Kinsley Rd., Pond Rd., North Rd., as well as utilizing parts of Fairfield Rd., Cambridge Rd., and Fairfax Rd. to access the Fletcher General Store. This would only be for those riders with trail-access decals available for purchase through an ATV club such as theirs. Club members have rules they need to obey: helmets, registration, insurance, etc.
Granting the club’s request would require the Town to adopt an Ordinance, laying out specific rules and permissions. The club is willing to help the Select Board draft such an Ordinance. They are also willing to assist in the maintenance of the Class 4 sections of the previously listed roads. Use of the roads would be seasonal, likely running from May 1st through November 1st, depending on the weather. The club is also willing to contact residents of these roads to alert them to their use of the roads.
At this time, the Board feels they need to discuss this further when all members are present. They feel this is an issue that should be brought to the public as well and adopting an Ordinance would require the appropriate warnings and hearings.
3) Public Comment
Art Fagnant came to request that the Town create a 3-way stop at the intersection of School Road and Sweet/River Roads. Currently there is only a stop sign at the end of School Road. He feels that it is a dangerous spot as cars tend to speed up the blind hill coming from Cambridge direction.
Since Matt Gillilan (Road Commissioner) is out of town until after Thanksgiving, the Board will research what can be done at that location and whether we have any stop signs in stock at the garage. They will discuss it again at the December 3rd meeting when Matt will be present.
The Board received a letter from the Fletcher Roughriders Snowmobile Club, requesting permission to continue trail use on certain Town roads for their trail system. These roads include: Boozan Hill Road, Mayotte Road (the Class 4 section north of Peterson’s), and Howrigan Road. Seasonal use would be from December 15 through April 15, snow permitting. The Board unanimously granted this request and will have Aimee send response letter stating the same.
Kevin Holmes-Henry submitted his letter of resignation as Town Auditor. He has taken on a new position which requires more time spent out of town, thus limiting his ability to perform his duties as Auditor. The Board thanks him for his decade of service to Fletcher in this capacity and wishes him well in his new venture. The Board will seek out a replacement to appoint for the remainder of Kevin’s term (March 2021).
5) Regular Board Business
There was a discussion of getting DSL service at the Town Garage. The Road Crew would be able to access their Town email on-site. They could browse and order parts from vendors via the internet, rather than over the phone or in person. We received a quote from Consolidated Communications for bundled phone and internet service at $43.50/month for a three-year term. Currently we pay $37/month for phone service alone. The Board feels the slight increase of $6.50/month is agreeable and they unanimously approved this purchase. As this was not a budgeted item, funds will be taken from the revenue generated by the metal recycling dumpster.
Christine had read over several sample Building Use policies from other towns and created a summary of items to possibly include in ours. Discussion followed. The Board would like Karrie and Aimee to look over the summary and give their feedback at the next meeting.
The Board discussed a few Town Office maintenance items: having the Road Crew power-wash the sides of the building, installing a wall-mount thermostat, and consulting with a flooring company about the areas of lifted flooring.
There was a discussion of transitioning to the new website. Jon created the initial mock-up and Jesse has been making adjustments and adding sample content. Jesse will set up a time to work with Aimee on how to do the same. The Board, along with Karrie and Aimee, will look over the sample site and provide feedback so hopefully the site can go “live” soon.
Meeting adjourned at 9:00pm.